Monday, August 25, 2008

Orange Chicken

Before the sauce...........
With the sauce..............
Around 2 pounds of chicken, cut up
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs beaten
oil for frying

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbl orange juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 Tbl soy sauce
1 Tbl finely grated orange peel
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger root (I didn't know what this was, so I used ground ginger?)
1/2 tsp garlic
2 Tbl finely chopped green onion
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3 Tbl cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the eggs, then in the flour mixture and fry in the oil until it's cooked through.

In a saucepan, combine the 1 1/2 cups water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Stir and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, orange peel, ginger, garlic and onion. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Pour into sauce and stir until it thickens a little. Pour over the chicken.

This wasn't quite as good as our favorite chinese place, but a close second. Maybe if I knew what ginger root was............

5 comments:

TheHottonSix said...

Ginger root kind of looks like a potato but is oddly shaped. I wish I could draw you a picture on here. Oh well. You should have called me! :)

The Petersons said...

I'll call you next time I have a cooking problem, I should've known you would know. So, what do you do with it? Grate it? Crush it? Cook it? Slice it? Peel it?

TheHottonSix said...

Yup!

Valerie said...

I know this was posted a while ago, but wanted to comment that it looks really good and I can't wait to try it.

Valerie said...

I made this tonight and we really liked it. Next time, I will only use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch though since it was too thick for us. Thanks for posting!